I have the latest and greatest Linux Kernel 6.6.7 installed on my refurbished Aftershock gaming laptop after installing Arch Linux on 19 Dec 2023 Tue

Subject: I have the latest and greatest Linux Kernel 6.6.7 installed on my refurbished Aftershock gaming laptop after installing Arch Linux on 19 Dec 2023 Tue


Good day from Singapore,


I have the latest and greatest Linux Kernel 6.6.7 installed on my refurbished Aftershock gaming laptop after installing Arch Linux on 19 Dec 2023 Tue in the evening.


Please refer to the following post at Arch Linux General Discussion mailing list.


Post: [Part 1] These are the guides I have followed to install Arch Linux with Linux Kernel 6.6.7 and GNOME on my refurbished Aftershock gaming laptop

Link: https://lists.archlinux.org/hyperkitty/list/arch-general@lists.archlinux.org/thread/LQTBZYXA26ZTMDZ2IXG4NHNOMDUC6RL3/


You will be able to install the latest and greatest Linux Kernel 6.6.7 by following the guides mentioned in the above mailing list post. I chose Arch Linux because it is able to offer the latest Linux Kernel package in its repository. No other Linux distro/distribution is able to offer the latest Linux Kernel for installation immediately after it has been released.


Arch Linux can only be installed using the command line. There is no GUI installer at all to make the installation speedy and efficient. Fortunately, I have good understanding of Linux basics and am quite familiar with the Linux command line. I can say I have 18 years of experience with Linux beginning in the year 2005.


Installing Arch Linux using the command line without a GUI installer can be very very TEDIOUS and very very TIME CONSUMING. But you will get a sense of satisfaction after installing it successfully.


To recap, I have started installing Arch Linux on my refurbished Aftershock gaming laptop on 19 Dec 2023 Tue at 9.24 PM at night. I have more or less completed installing Arch Linux on 20 Dec 2023 Wed at about 1.00 AM in the early morning.


In total, I have spent about 3 hours and 36 minutes installing Arch Linux with NetworkManager (able to connect to Ethernet and Wi-Fi), X.org X Server and GNOME Desktop Environment with Mozilla Firefox and VLC Video Player. I am able to play 4K Ultra HD videos inside Arch Linux. I will spend the next few days or next few weeks (when I have time on my hands) to install Google Chrome web browser and configure the sudoers file in Arch Linux.


If there are bugs in Linux Kernel 6.6.7, I will report them to this mailing list.


My used 2nd hand Aftershock gaming laptop model is MX-15 Elite (N850HK1).


AFTERSHOCK LAPTOP MODEL

=======================


Model: N850HK


Product Code: N850HK1


Serial number: NKN850HK1*****5636


Hardware specifications

========================


CPU

===


Intel Core i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80 GHz (7th generation)


RAM

===


SYSTEM MEMORY: 640 KB


EXTENDED MEMORY: 8192 MB (DDR4)


VGA

===


Intel HD Graphics 630


NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 TI


STORAGE

========


SATA PORT 0 WDC WDS120G1G0 (120.0 GB) – Solid State Disk (SSD) for installing operating systems


SATA PORT 2 HGST HTS721010 (1000.2 GB or 1 TB) – HARDDISK, NOT SSD


ME FW VERSION: 11.6.25.1229


MB SERIES: N85_N87,HJ,HJ1,HK1


BIOS VERSION: 1.05.14TASP


KBC/EC FIRMWARE REVISION: 1.05.10


Thank you.


Regards,


Mr. Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming

Targeted Individual in Singapore

Blogs:

https://tdtemcerts.blogspot.com

https://tdtemcerts.wordpress.com

GIMP also stands for Government-Induced Medical Problems.

20 Dec 2023 Wednesday 9.54 PM


PS. I have 92 screenshots taken using my vivo V25 Pro 5G mobile phone on Day 1 of installing Arch Linux.





REFERENCES

============


[1] https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/mRejxPdoL9CnXaSysWPg-tNQ2QaQa2LNbtQFWlQv4NVzG2fBSM8Lb_gPKHJTYHiAxerATFYf2aE-ibE8JUtACknsOzzi1goPrUNV5MYIWnI=@protonmail.com/


[2] https://lkml.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/2312.2/04914.html


[3] https://lkml.org/lkml/2023/12/20/774


[4] https://lwn.net/ml/linux-kernel/mRejxPdoL9CnXaSysWPg-tNQ2QaQa2LNbtQFWlQv4NVzG2fBSM8Lb_gPKHJTYHiAxerATFYf2aE-ibE8JUtACknsOzzi1goPrUNV5MYIWnI%3D%40protonmail.com/


[5] https://yhbt.net/lore/all/mRejxPdoL9CnXaSysWPg-tNQ2QaQa2LNbtQFWlQv4NVzG2fBSM8Lb_gPKHJTYHiAxerATFYf2aE-ibE8JUtACknsOzzi1goPrUNV5MYIWnI=@protonmail.com/


[6] https://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=170308053520480&w=2

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How the Singapore Government cheated my family of a HDB flat (Draft 22 Aug 2023)

[DRAFT 26 SEP 2022] HDB refuses to reduce monthly rental fees of my rental flat despite many appeals